How do I get my firearms rights restored? An easy action plan

Legal matters are often complex and require help from a professional law firm. However, it’s always a good practice to be aware of state laws and regulations. Unfortunately, people often get on the wrong side of the law because they are unaware of state laws. Moreover, specific state laws can be tricky, so the average person is more likely to misinterpret them. This can put you in a difficult situation. One such challenging yet alarming situation is when you have your firearms rights revoked. Revocation of firearms rights results in a ban on the purchase of a weapon. Additionally, in some cases, the state also has the right to confiscate any firearms you possess. This blog post answers a pressing question: how do I get my firearms rights restored?

What causes firearms rights to be revoked?

Understanding firearms bans and prohibitions is a tedious task. This is because many federal and state laws overlap, while many states have unique, localized laws. Additionally, specific laws still apply if you move from one state to another. Hence, firearms bans can vary. However, some of the reasons why someone might have their firearms rights revoked are as follows:

  • The person is a convict in any court for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.
  • is a convict in any court for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence that meets the federal definition of domestic violence in the United States Code (18 USC § 921 and 18 USC § 922);
  • They are serving a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner;
  • The person is in a mental institution or declared mentally unfit;
  • You are under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
  • The person is a fugitive from justice;
  • Engages in unlawful use of or addicted to any controlled substance;
  • The person is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or has a non-immigrant visa;
  • Is no longer serving the Armed Forces because of a dishonorable discharge; or
  • The person was a citizen of the United States but has renounced U.S. citizenship.

How do I get my firearms right restored?

Restoration of firearms rights requires carefully studying your cases and conducting a firearms rights analysis. Both of these need help from a professional law firm like Talmadge. Talmadge law firm can help restore your firearms rights and also help you with all legal matters. Additionally, they can give you the legal support that traditional lawyers fail to provide.