The baker act allows doctors, therapists, and judges to commit a person to mental health hospitals. The time for the examination is 2 hours. This is necessary when a person displays violent and suicidal actions. The baker act provides a mental health evaluation time and de-escalates a crisis.
This evaluation is essential to determine if the person is mentally ill. Therefore, Talmadge Law Firm guarantees justice to clients. Moreover, it strives to provide clients with a baker act lawyer Florida.
All Baker Acted individuals are admitted to a mental health hospital. Then, after 72 hours of filling out the Florida Baker Act form: professionals conduct a psychological examination.
Accordingly, if two mental health professionals confirm that the individual is mentally ill: they are admitted. If not, they are released.
Criteria For Commitment to the Baker Act
The act is voluntary for people who meet the following criteria:
- People around the patient consider them to be mentally ill.
- The person refuses to sit for the voluntary mental health evaluation. They deny the importance of conducting this evaluation.
- The person causes harm to others and themselves.
What Behaviours Indicate a Mental Illness?
You must immediately report individuals to mental health hospitals. In addition, they must indicate any of the following behaviors:
- Hallucinations: Seeing things or hearing voices that are not there. Consequently, it may cause individuals to harm themselves and others repeatedly.
- Suicidal Thoughts: People have access to illegal weapons and have a history of self-harm. They are subject to the Baker Act.
- Depression/Misery: Depression is one form of a mood disorder. Furthermore, some people may not care for themselves. Primary care includes sleep, diet, and personal hygiene.
All in all, professionals evaluate patients after you sign a petition. It is best to consult professionals like the Talmadge Law Firm. We’re here to assist you better in such sensitive matters.